...I have been hugging the porcelain all night/morning. What does that have to do with you moms? I will tell you.Twice last week at work (i work for a pediatrician) 2 cute little sick kids on separate days happened to barf on the floor. And for some ODD reason both of these parents thought that it was okay to just leave it there for someone to clean up. That person being me, because Dr Simmons can't handle any sort of throw up. Nurses are not janitors!! It is your kid, so clean up after them, wherever you are please. And while i'm on the subject i thought i would leave some other tips that you may or may not want to know...
{preface}
-no i am not a mother so one could argue i don't know what i am talking about, but since it is my blog i can vent about whatever i want. You are very welcome NOT to read. So please dont leave me any nasty comments. I happen to get angry when i am sick and am choosing to type it out.
- I love children, which is why i work where i do. Is giving shots fun? No but i choose to keep preventing horrible diseases from re-surfacing in our country. So please don't ask your nurse-How can you do this everyday! With a look of horror on your face as you snatch up your child. It is just plain rude. Some moms cry which i respect, no one wants to see their baby in pain ever. But you chose to get them immunized which i applaude!! Don't get me started on non-immunizers ;) So cry on, but don't made comments to me about how i must have a tough heart. I don't encourage internet for medical help but maybe take a minute to google some pictures of poor babies that have these diseases right now on our planet, and luckily probably not in our country anymore. It might make you appreciate the heartless nurses that shoot up your children.
- A fever is defined as a temperature of at least 100.4- So "low grade" means at least that(100-101). Not 98.9 or 99.2--And believe it or not your hand is not a built in thermometer. PLEASE own one. Doctors ask for specific temperatures for a reason! "feels hot" really? Well babies are either being held against a body or wrapped too tightly in a blanket. They always feel hot. As sad as it is you are getting made fun of for saying that. So please run across the street and use your neighbors before calling your doctor for advice, cause they will always ask what the temp is. NOT how it feels. (literally at least 3 times a day someone will come in, i will take the temp=normal and parent will say really? They felt sooo hot. They just wasted their money and the Dr's time). Oh and read carefully! 100.5 and 105 are SO different! You'd think it was common sense but apparently not. Speak clearly! "one-oh-five" or "one-hundred-point-five."
- I respect that everyone has a different parenting style and I enjoy seeing them all in action. So don't think i am targeting anyone. But please for the love, clean up your childrens throw-up. And if your child is throwing up, call and talk to the nurse before making an appointment. She will help you know if it is time to worry or wait it out some more. Stomach bugs that cause diarrhea and vomitting are 99% of the time ViRaL so there is nothing we can do. But you can give them clear liquids and give it some time instead of bringing them in infecting everyone else in there. The only reason a child should be seen for vomitting is if they are dehydrated. We won't stop the process of them throwing up. (obviously in some extreme cases we do) But i mean in general.
- And my last and favorite. AnTiBiOtiCs. Do not help everything. ONLY bacterial infections! I hear parents begging for them and the doctors explaining why not and they just don't get it. If you take enough antibiotics, like anything else in life your body gets used to them and UnFortunately becomes resistant. So although as a mom you may feel better giving them useless medicine because you think it might be helping, it is helping contribute to a growing world wide problem of Antibiotic resistance. So just trust that your doctor knows so much more than you do about it and follow his advice. I promise i know how horrid hearing that your child has virus and there is nothing you can do but wait for it to either get better or worse is. But that is life. Not fair for you or them. But imagine when they catch something that actually CAN be treated. How great it will be to have that medicine. Or how horrible it will be trying to find an antibiotic that will still work in their body for that type of bacteria because they have had amoxicillin just too many times already and it no longer works.
Alright mommies, i'm done and love you all! Thanks for listening, or restraining to write me a comment about how i have no right to give you advice :)
X0X0










9 comments:
that was well said, as well needed. It's your blog, you can say what you want.
I agree.
I would have told those parents, with the throw up/kids, "-oh, I'm sorry your child is sick... do you need me to get some paper towels for you to clean that up... Here, let me get some for you" and then watched as they cleaned.
I can't believe you had to do it! HELLO!? I guess some parents need a knock on the head.
I'm a mommy that agrees with all you have said. I have had my kids throw up in many places, including Chili's. And i have never let anyone else clean it up except at Chili's they told me they HAD to do it because it was protocol. I paid the guy $20 cause I was mortified.
And um immunizations are a must around here. I have been to africa and witnessed what happens when kids aren't immunized. Also, the kids that aren't immunized could get a baby sick that hasn't gotten that immunization and cause majoy havoc! So With you on that!
I own a thermometer, why not save yourself the money and stay at home?
Oh and sorry you are sickly!
I 100% agree!
I get so DAMN annoyed of retarded parents out there. And believe me the doctors office is only the start. Try playgrounds where there are ALWAYS moms who are psycho. I have had a mom tell me,"um, your daughter is hitting my son." REALLY?! my daughter is 18 months and your son is 4, so sorry Mr. sensitive did my 20lbs. daughter hurt your tiny feelings? Give me a break! Not that I let me kid go around smacking other kids but come one the kid was 4x her size. I looked at the lady like, SERIOUSLY?!
Some parents are just WAY over protective. Then there are the other parents... like the mommies who left the barf for you to clean... those ones are just as bad because they let their kids do whatever the hell they want!
And DONT get me stared on immunizations! I cannot believe the special thinkers out there who think whats on Oprah's show is gospel doctrine! No it wont make your kid autistic but YOU might with all your crazy talk!
Sorry you have to deal with the crazy parents out there! I feel your pain.
I totally feel your pain. When I was working at Nordstrom I was the manager in charge of the store and some kid barfed and the Mom called to have it cleaned up. While she watched me clean it up she said I am so sorry that is so disgusting. Really!!!! I agree 100% with your post there are some crazies out there. By the way I think that people that don't immunize are crazy. I can only imagine how entertaining your job would be.
oh- one more thing. Keoni chose you as the random winner for some cupcake toppers. WOOT WOOT! You can do what you want with them. I'll send them over- is your address still the 486...yada yada.... address?
You crack me up!!! The temp thing drove me crazy too!!!! Or when they won't give the tylenol or motrin before they come to they doctor so we would believe their kid had a fever! Mean while the temp is now 104!!!
amen! amen! amen!
good thing i can say i don't do any of those :)
your blog is cute and full of personalitly :)
you are killing me. it needed to be said, Now can we make it a poster and hang it in the office?
Did i hear WOOT WOOT??
yeah, halla!!
Post a Comment